Starting Salary: $51,000
The purpose of this classification is to protect life and property, deter criminal activity, serve legal processes of courts, provide courtroom and jail support services, and execute arrests with and without warrants.
- Enforces all local and state codes, ordinances, laws and regulations, both traffic and criminal, in order to protect life and property, to promote security, and to maintain law and order.
- Provides courtroom security; maintains a security presence in County courtrooms to ensure safety of court personnel, to identify/prevent disturbances of court proceedings, and to identify/prevent potential violence or use of weapons; and assists with courtroom proceedings and documentation process as required.
- Manages courtroom activities; maintains law and order during courtroom proceedings; announces judge’s entry; swears in witnesses; enforces courtroom rules; answers questions from the public and judge; maintains contact with counsel during deliberations; and manages jury.
- Conducts security checks of courthouse offices, judges’ chambers, parking lots, or other areas of courthouse; performs electronic and visual security screening of jurors, spectators, or other individuals; and safeguards judges and other judicial personnel.
- Manages inmates; maintains continual visual surveillance of inmates; monitors and controls all inmate activities regarding movement; subdues unruly and resisting inmates; manages interpersonal conflicts to maintain order; and performs searches of inmates.
- Transports inmates to/from assigned locations such as courts, jails, detention center, correctional institutions, prisons, medical facilities, regional youth detention centers, or elsewhere as directed; and provides safety and security of inmates during transport.
- Serves or attempts to serve felony and misdemeanor warrants and civil papers; arrests individuals named in warrants; conducts investigations to determine location/locate individuals named in criminal and civil papers; performs extradition of alleged criminals from other jurisdictions to satisfy open warrants; and executes lunacy or juvenile pickup orders.
- Patrols designated areas to detect and deter criminal activity and traffic violations; prevents/discovers commission of crime and traffic violations; responds to calls relayed by dispatchers; apprehends, arrests, and processes criminals, fugitives and offenders; and writes citations.
- Responds to calls relayed by dispatchers; responds to alarms, domestic disputes, assaults, burglaries, traffic accidents, lost or missing persons searches, rescue operations, public service duties, welfare checks, stranded motorists, or other calls for assistance; conducts preliminary investigations; interviews victims, complainants and witnesses and takes statements; gathers information and evidence; seizes contraband and weapons; preserves evidence until the case is disposed of in a court of law; preserves and secures crime scenes; and takes photographs and prepares crime scene sketches.
- Provides additional security assistance to police force as needed.
High school diploma or GED required; one year of work experience in any field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. The minimum age requirement is 20 years old.
Specific License or Certification Required: Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license; and must possess and maintain Georgia Peace Officer Standard and Training certification.