|INMATE MAIL PROCEDURE CHANGES
Changes in Mail Procedures
Effective Date July 1, 2012
Effective July 1, 2012, all incoming and outgoing mail to DeKalb County inmates, with the exception of legal mail, must be in pre-stamped or metered postcard form. The procedural change is being implemented to ensure the safety and security of the jail.
- NO LETTERS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Stamps are not allowed; postcards must be metered or have pre-printed stamps.
- Must be addressed to :
Inmate’s Full Name
Cell Location and SPN Number
DeKalb County Jail
4415 Memorial Drive
Decatur, Georgia 30032
- Minimum size requirements are 3.5 inches by 4.25 inches.
- Maximum allowed postcard size is 4.25 by 6 inches
- Should be written in blue or black ink only.
- Postcards must be white in color and are available at any United States Post Office. Inmates can purchase the postcards through DeKalb County Jail commissary services.
- Defaced or altered postcards.
- Postcards with plastic or wrappings.
- Postcards marked with paint, crayon, or markers.
- Postcards with labels stickers, water marks, or stains.
- Postcards with any biohazards, including perfumes or lipsticks.
- Postcards depicting nudity, weapons, or gang reference.
- Postcards containing an affixed stamp.
- Legal mail is not affected.
- Money is not affected.
- Only Western Union or US Postal orders are accepted.
- Money Orders should be made Payable to: DeKalb County Jail, Attn: Inmate’s Name & SPN Number.
- The envelope must be clearly marked as “INMATE ACCOUNTING”. No additional correspondence will be accepted with incoming inmate funds. If additional contents are located in the envelope, the entire package will be returned to sender.
- Photographs are permitted only after the inmate has been incarcerated for 30 days or more. Each inmate shall be permitted to receive a maximum of five (5) photographs per week.
- The envelope must be clearly marked as “PHOTOGRAPHS”. No additional correspondence will be accepted with incoming photographs. If additional contents are located in the envelope, the entire package will be returned to sender.
- The photographs must not exceed four inches by six inches in size, must be unaltered, and may not contain any adhesives such as stickers or labels. The inmate’s name and booking number must be written on the back of each photograph. Nothing else is to be written on the photographs.
- All accepted photographs must be developed prints. No Polaroid pictures are authorized.
- Photographs containing the following shall be deemed inappropriate and shall be returned to the sender: If the picture depicts sexual activity or visibly exposes the breast, pubic area or buttocks, promoting or showing illegal activity and / or containing gang signs or codes.