This is a position that maintains order and supervises inmates in the DeKalb County
Jail. The position requires performance of some or all of the following duties, in addition
to others as assigned:
- Maintain records
- Administer fingerprints
- Search inmates
- Assign inmate quarters.
- Supervise inmates’ cleaning activities.
- Supervise the feeding of inmates.
- Supervise the operation of the jail laundry.
- Process incoming jail inmates by taking accurate and classifiable
fingerprints, photographs, and personal history; collect, inventory, and store
inmate personal clothing, jewelry, and money; issue jail clothing, linens, personal
hygiene/cleaning supplies and bedding.
- Observe security monitors to watch inmate movement; supervise
inmates during visitation, recreation, and medical call; report unusual observations
- Respond to questions, complaints, and requests for information by
telephone or in person from inmates, the general public, court personnel,
medical staff, attorneys, clergy, officers, employees, and supervisors.
- Conduct periodic security inspections and searches of inmates’
person and living quarters for unauthorized items including weapons, drugs, and
- Document all activity conducted in assigned position; complete
daily activity reports, log books, incident reports, vehicle inspection forms,
inmate property receipts, and various other reports and documents associated with
routine duties; maintain files and records.
A high school diploma or GED from an Accredited Agency recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education or Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Must be 20
years of age or older. Can possess a valid driver’s license upon completion of pre-
employment application, but must possess a valid Georgia driver’s license upon
accepting a Conditional Offer of Employment. Must be a U.S. citizen. Must not have any
Felony or Domestic Violence conviction(s) or any open charges. Must not show a
pattern of multiple misdemeanors.
Applicants must complete these examinations:
- Physical Efficiency Battery/Written Exam
- Pre-Employment Interview
- Psychological Examination
- Background Investigation
- Physical and Drug Screening
- Computerized Voice Stress Analyzer
- Post-Employment (offer)
- Oral Review Board
Detention Officer I (with a 4yr degree or Veteran)
Annual Salary – $37,169.00 (Monthly – $3,097.42)
Detention Officer I (no degree)
Annual Salary – $35,739.00 (Monthly – $2,978.25)